Tuesday, January 06, 2009

So What Have I Been Doing?

Obviously I didn't do nothing between the end of September last year and the second of January this.

Well, there was finishing work. Then there was packing (I'd made a start, but not as much of a start as I'd thought). Then I flew out to Germany for a week or so and we drove back over in a hired van and spent a further ten days packing up my flat and cleaning it up as best we could. D hurt his back and I came down with a filthy cold, so we didn't actually finish till we were all but driving to Hull to catch the ferry. I had to leave a few things behind, but hopefully they will still be there later when I go to pick them up, which will probably be this summer some time.

We got back to Germany on 28 October, and most of my stuff is now either in the dining area or in the second spare bedroom. We've managed to just about finish decorating that room now, although there are still some bits of trim still to finish off and I have to paint the woodwork. The bookcase is going to be sanded, stained and reconstructed, with some added strengthening bits and new castors. 

I had the opportunity in November to spend a couple of weeks in Ullapool at my brother's. We only had a couple of days together though, as the purpose of my visit was to cover for him and his wife while they were in Norway. So, I had almost two weeks of working in the shop every day, something I haven't actually done in years. Not sure I've ever worked the whole day from opening to closing, or at least I hadn't before this last trip. It was actually quite good fun!

I also got to spend time with H's kids, who are now 17 and 16. I remember when they were babies - hard to believe they're both about to finish school and one is off to University to become a primary school teacher. 

The most difficult part was keeping quiet as to why they were off to Norway. It did cause quite a lot of gossip, mainly because Norway in November isn't exactly the sort of warm, exotic place you imagine jetting off to for your first holiday together in a good three years. 

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to ask whether H's kids knew why they were going. No, they had no idea. They still have no idea, and won't till probably the beginning of February. 

Apart from that, I've just been decorating and cleaning and tidying, and enjoying a quiet Christmas and New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment